Monday, January 5, 2009

Paolo Alfredo, Badass

Paolo loves to be groomed.

Let me make myself clear. Paolo hates the actual grooming part. He enjoys himself tremendously when said grooming is over. In fact, he goes way nuts - running around the house, wagging his tail furiously, jumping all over the other dogs to tell them how lucky he is to have gotten a bath, or had his nails clipped, or whatever.

So on Saturday, during the ARI/ATL playoff game, I decided it would be a good idea to try out the newest addition to the Dogs on Propps accessories collection, a Pedi Paw. (it won't hurt my feelings that you didn't click on that link - I don't click on 'em either. However, for those who wanted more information, it was available. So there.)

Anyway, for the uninitiated, this Pedi Paw thing is essentially a mechanical rotating emery board (nail file, boys) for dog nails. As we have five sets of dog nails to tend to, (ten, counting the back feet) I thought it would be a grand idea. Nails are hard to clip, and I'm always nervous that I'm going to cut past the quick, and the idea of that makes me faint just to consider. Pedi Paws to the rescue!

Paolo was first. We knew that if he was able to handle it, the others surely would. He is anxious and we were hoping that if the other dogs saw it was no big deal, they would feel the same way. His nails were done quickly, but the emery portion, essentially cheap sandpaper, wore down fast, and took three times as long to do the actual job. I decided to try the Pedi Paw on Koko, but fifteen minutes into the job, I gave up and went back to the clippers. Everyone got their nails done, and when we let all the dogs back in, Paolo was overwhelmed with joy. He wanted to share his excitement with everyone...especially Koko. In his joy, he jumped on Koko, who in no uncertain terms then told him to back off. (in fact, I believe she dropped the f-bomb, but I can't be sure.) He wouldn't take no for an answer. He wanted to tell her how happy he was about his nails, and he went back for more. He jumped at her one time too many, and Koko, who has the opposite feeling about grooming, went nuts. She attacked Paolo, fitting his entire head into her mouth, and took a chunk out of his head in front of his left ear. He screamed like a little girl. (in fact, allow me to quote: YIPE YIPE YIPE)

He is fine. We cleaned him up, applied the appropriate meds, and let him rest for a day or so. Though he swelled up like Marlon Brando about 8 hours afterwards, the swelling is down now and he is back to his normal, prissy, dainty self.

And his fingernails? They look fabulous.


Paolo's nails, brought to you by the Dogs on Propps manicurist. Ignore the nail on the left that is longer than the others.

No comments: